• An Escondido Public Library card is required to obtain a computer reservation in each of the computer areas: Children’s, Teens, Adults, and in the Business Center. Library cards are free and can be obtained at the Customer Service desk in the lobby.
• Each user must use their library card to reserve a computer. Reservations can only be made by the card holder and library cards are not transferrable to gain access to a public computer.
- Patrons using another person’s card will lose their computer privileges for that day.
• Only one reservation may be made by each cardholder at a time.
• The PC reservation system recognizes the library cardholder’s age and assigns the reservation to the appropriate computing area for children (up to 12 years old); teens (13 to 17 years old; and adults (18 years and older).
• Food, drinks, and cell phone use are not allowed at the public computers stations.
• All public computers are filtered. Adult themed images are not permitted on any computer in any area of the library, including the Wi-Fi computers.
• Computer users are required to have basic computer knowledge and skills. Library staff is unable to provide personal instruction to users. The Information Desk can refer users to computer classes available in the community.
• A maximum of 2 people are allowed at each computer station.
• All work is automatically deleted from the computer station once the session ends. Work to be saved should be saved in a timely manner to a personal storage device, such as a diskette or a flash drive.
• Users, or parents of minors who are users, are liable for damages to the equipment, as stated in State of California Code. Do not alter computer settings or engage in illegal activities, including but not limited to copyright violations, harassment, fraud, or making unauthorized entry to any other machine accessible via the network. Malicious or illegal misuse of the computer or Internet access is punishable by fine or imprisonment and is subject to prosecution by authorities.
• Anyone not abiding by the rules above or whose behavior causes a disturbance, which interferes with normal library operations will be required to immediately vacate the computer station and will not be allowed to use public computers for the remainder of the day or designated time. Persistent disregard of the Library’s policies will result in loss of computer and library privileges according to library policies.
• The adult computer area is designated for adults only (18 years and older). Parents with children are referred to the parent computer located in the Children’s Room.
• Adults (18 years and older) may use up to 90 minutes of public computer time daily. Adults are assigned to computers in the adult area. Reservations requests may specify use of:
- Express Computers, allowing up to 15 minutes at a time
- Adult computers, allowing up to 60 minutes at a time, with the added option of extending the session 30 minutes if a reservation is not pending at that station.
BUSINESS CENTER COMPUTERS
• Business Center computers allow adults up to 90 minutes use at a time for the purpose of researching jobs or school information, completing job or school applications, creating resumes, and other job or school related projects.
- Access to Business Center computers is provided by library staff at the information desk.
• The teen computer area is designated for teens only (13 -17 years old).
• Teens may use up to 90 minutes of public computer time daily. Teen computers allow 60 minutes at a time, with the added option of extending the session 30 minutes if a reservation is not pending at that station.
- Express stations are not available for teen use.
• Homework laptop computers are available for teens upon request. Access is provided by library staff at the information desk in the teen area.
CHILDREN’S COMPUTERS & PARENT COMPUTER
• Children 12 years and younger are assigned computers in the Children’s area with a total of 60 minutes of computer use per day.
• Parents, with children under 12 years, should use the Parent Computer located in the Children’s Room. Library staff at the Children’s information desk provide access to the Parent Computer.
• The Parent Computer allows up to 60 minutes of computer access.
• Homework computers are available for children to use upon request. Access is provided by library staff at the information desk.