Hosting Author Programs
We are always looking for authors to join our many author talk programs. If you or someone you represent would be interested, please contact email@example.com.
As part of its mission is to promote books and reading, the Escondido Public Library is pleased to offer author lectures and book signings of established authors who:
- Are professional writers, paid for their work
- Have been published by a traditional publishing company (not a “vanity” press)
- Have works which have been critically reviewed by mainstream media
- Have had book signings or speaking engagements at bookstores or other venues
- Have a Web site or are listed on a traditional publisher’s Web site
- Have published books with broad appeal to Escondido residents
- Can provide us with a sample press release or descriptive background information
- Biographical information
- Color photo or .jpg file
The Library does not need to have an author’s works in its collection for consideration as a speaker, although this is highly preferred, but the author’s works should meet the Library’s Collection Development Policy criteria and be available for purchase.
Procedure for Scheduling Author Programs
Library Administration will review and approve all prospective author programs before the author can be booked. Any division wishing to host an author program will confer with Library Administration and Adult Services (or Teen or Children’s Services when appropriate) at least two months before the proposed program, in order to make timely decisions, assign responsibility for the various roles, and ensure adequate time for logistics and publicity. Shorter deadlines will be considered if circumstances warrant. Library Administration or their designee will discuss and determine logistics of book sales with the author or the author’s representative.
Local Self-Published Authors
The Escondido Library may sponsor local author book fairs periodically. Local authors who are self-published or published through a “vanity” press may be invited to participate in such events and may sell their own books at that time. In addition, the Friends of the Library may elect to have a local author as a speaker for one of their membership programs.
Revised 3/19/07 Reviewed 4/20/16