Internet and Public Computer Use Policy
Escondido Public Library provides Internet access on selected public computers and free public WiFi access throughout the Library campus. Users access the Internet at their own discretion and risk and are expected to use computers within the Library's Code of Conduct and this Policy.
- An Escondido Public Library card is required to reserve a computer. Reservations can only be made by the card holder, and Library cards/computer reservations are not transferrable.
- Viewing of pornography is not permitted on the Library campus. Violation of this rule will result in loss of Library privileges according to the Library's Code of Conduct Policy.
- Public computers and WiFi are filtered. Users attempting to engage in illegal activities, including but not limited to, copyright violations, harassment, viewing illegal materials, or fraud are subject to prosecution by authorities.
- Library computer users, or parents/guardians of computer users, are responsible for damages to equipment.
- The computer system assigns station use through a reservation system and restricts the reservation to the appropriate computer area for children (up to 12 years old); teens (13 to 17 years old); and adults (18 years and older).
- Computer users are expected to have basic computer knowledge and skills. Library Staff cannot provide personal instruction to users.
- Food, uncovered drinks, and loud, extended cell phone use are not allowed at public computer stations.
- A maximum of 2 people are allowed at a computer station.
- Computer sessions end 15 minutes before closing. Computer reservations cannot be made within 20 minutes of closing.
- All work is automatically deleted from the computer station once the session ends. Work to be saved should be saved to a personal storage device.
- It is the responsibility of parents or guardians monitor use of the Internet for their children.
- The adult computer area is designated for adults only (ages 18+). Parents with children are referred to Parent Computer Stations located in the Children's Room.
- Adults may use up to 120 minutes of computer time daily which may be dispersed amongst the following options:
- Express Computers-Up to 15 minutes per session.
- Adult computers-Up to 60 minutes per session, with the added option of extending the session 60 minutes if a reservation is not pending for that station.
BUSINESS CENTER COMPUTERS
- Business Center computers allow adults up to 120 minutes use at a time per day for the purpose of extended research, using scanners, job searches or school-related activity.
- Access to Business Center computers is provided by Library Staff at the information Desk.
- The Teen computer area is designated for teens only (ages 13 -17 years old).
- Teens may use up to 120 minutes of computer time daily.
- Homework laptop computers are available for teens to checkout for in-house use. A Library card is required for checkout and access is provided by Library Staff at the Information Desk.
CHILDREN'S COMPUTERS & PARENT COMPUTERS
- Children 12 years and younger are assigned computers in the Children's area with a total of 60 minutes of computer use per day.
- Parents, when accompanied by children under 12 years, should use the Parent Computers located in the Children's Room. Library Staff at the Children's Information Desk provide access to Parent Computers.
- Parent computers allow up to 60 minutes per session, with the added option of extending the session.
- Designated homework computers are available for children to use on a first come, first served basis.
ELECTRONIC DEVICES FOR IN-LIBRARY USE
- Chromebooks may be checked out by adults for one 180 minute session use, inside the Library building. This may be used in addition to the 120 minutes granted on an Adult, Business, or Parent computer (see above.)
- An Electronic Device Agreement must be completed at the Information Desk and will be retained on file. At the time of check-out, the borrower's current, government-issued photo ID and full-services Escondido Public Library card must be surrendered for the duration of the check-out period.