Make a difference. Volunteer!
The Escondido Public Library has volunteers that work in all departments performing various tasks. Volunteers must be a minimum of 14 years old.
PLEASE NOTE: The library does not accept any court-ordered community service.
What do I need to be a volunteer?
- Ability to work independently.
- Desire to help the library and your community.
- Commitment to a regular schedule.
- Good work habits.
- Skills appropriate to the tasks assigned.
- Compliance with library rules, policies and procedures.
- Fingerprinting & background check required for all volunteers.
- Interview with the Volunteer Coordinator to make sure needs and goals are compatible.
What volunteer opportunities are currently available?
- Check-in Processor-Volunteers needed to check-in library materials, empty book returns, and sort materials onto carts for shelving. Volunteers must be able to lift, bend, stoop, and stand for periods of time. Early morning or afternoon availability preferred.
- Library Holds Retriever- Volunteers needed to generate library holds lists and retrieve materials from the stacks for holds processing. Volunteers must be able to alphabetize, understand numbers, be able to squat, bend, and reach over head. Early morning or afternoon availability preferred.
- Friends of the Library Volunteer- Adult volunteers needed to work in Friends Shop and workroom, selling books and media materials. Find out more.
- Pioneer Room Volunteer - Adult volunteers needed to perform archival clerical duties in our local history/genealogy room. Find out more.
- Literacy Tutor - Adult volunteers needed to teach other adults how to read. Find out more.
Are you a teen looking for ways to earn community service hours*?
- Review Crew - For every 3 qualifying book reviews earn 1 hour of community service.
- Esco Teens Create - Earn community service hours by creating crafts to donate to community organizations. Meets every Wednesday from 3:30 - 5:30 p.m. No registration or special skills required.
*Participation in these two groups does not require fingerprinting and a background check.
How do I find out more about volunteering?
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator: