Reference materials are various sources that provide background information or quick facts on a given topic. Explore this page to learn more about the Pioneer Room reference materials available to you. Materials can be accessed in-person during the Pioneer Room's open hours.
If you have any questions, please call us at 760-839-4315 or email us as firstname.lastname@example.org.
You man also submit a research request or obituary request form here.
Subject and Biographical Files
- Various articles clipped primarily from local newspapers and magazines, and organized alphabetically by subject.
- View the Clipping Files Guide.
- City of Escondido parcel maps
- Sanborn Fire Insurance 1892 to 1927 (microfilm)
- USGS Topographic Survey
- Business Directory photocopies from 1913-1938
- Escondido City and telephone directories 1886-present
- Woman's Club Escondido 1960-1996
- Visit the Pioneer Room on California Revealed to view digital City directories from the 1950s-1980s
- Classical Academy (2000-2002; 2007; 2009-2014)
- Del Lago Academy (2013; 2015-2016)
- Escondido High School (1909-1994; 1996-2022)
- Escondido Charter High School (1996-2005; 2007-2008; 2010-2014; 2016)
- Hidden Valley Middle School (1975-1990; 1993-2004)
- Orange Glen High School (1964-1983; 1985-2021)
- San Pasqual Academy (1983; 2005-2014)
- San Pasqual High School (1974-1986; 1989-2003; 2007-2008; 2010-2011; 2013-2017; 2019-2022)
- Valley High School (1977-1978; 1980; 1982; 1984-1985; 2003-2008)
- Selections of yearbooks from:
- Children's Montessori
- Conway Elementary School
- Del Dios Middle School (1974-1978; 1995-1996)
- Grant Middle School
- Light and Life Christian School
- Rincon Middle School
- African American Soldier Records 1639-1886
- Alien Arrivals - Douglas, AZ 1901-1952
- Citizen and Alien Arrivals by Aircraft at San Francisco 1936-1949
- California State Marriage (1960-1985) and Death Index (1905-1992)
- Escondido City Council Minutes 1888-1988
- Escondido Times Advocate (January 20, 1887 - December 2, 1995)
- North County Times (December 3, 1995 - March 2, 2013)
- U-T San Diego North County (March 3, 2013 - December 31, 2018)
- Federal Census 1850-1930 for California, Colorado, Arizona (1870-1920) and New Mexico (1850-1920)
- Mexican-American War Records
- Mexico Census 1790
- Native American Census for Southern California and Western Arizona 1885-1940
- San Diego County Naturalization Records 1853-1958
- San Diego County Probate Order and Decrees 1886-1920
- San Ysidro Border Crossing Records 1908-1952
- Sanbourn Fire Maps for downtown Escondido 1892-1927
- Tapes from Frances B. Ryan
- Transcriptions from Escondido Historical Society and San Diego Historical Society
Historical Society and Historic Organizations Newsletters and Journals
- Boosters of Old Town San Diego State Historic Park "Poppy Paper"
- Congress of History of San Diego and Imperial Counties "Adelante"
- Historical Society of Southern California "Southern California Quarterly"
- Journal of California Historical Society "California History"
- Journal of San Diego History
- National Trust for Historic Preservation "Preservation"
- Old Escondido Historic District "Old Escondido Times"
- San Diego Archaeological Center
- San Diego Historical Society "The Times"
- San Dieguito Heritage Museum "Heritage Times"
- San Pasqual Battlefield Volunteer Association "Battlelines"
- Vista Historical Society