Make a difference. Volunteer!
The Escondido Public Library has volunteers that work in all departments performing various tasks. Volunteers must be a minimum of 14 years old.
PLEASE NOTE: The library does not accept any court-ordered community service.
What do I need to be a volunteer?
- Ability to work independently.
- Desire to help the library and your community.
- Commitment to a regular schedule.
- Good work habits.
- Skills appropriate to the tasks assigned.
- Compliance with library rules, policies and procedures.
- Fingerprinting & background check required for all volunteers.
- Interview with the Volunteer Coordinator to make sure needs and goals are compatible.
What volunteer opportunities are currently available?
- Technology Assistant- Adult volunteers needed to assist patrons with technology related questions in the adult computer area. Must have experience with Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, e-mail, scanning, and other common computer use tasks. Availability: weekday evenings from 3 p.m.- 6 p.m.
- Storytime Assistant Volunteer-Teen or adult volunteer needed to assist with children's storytimes. This includes set up, clean up, assisting Library staff in passing out and collecting materials, assisting in handling disruptions, and other tasks. Availability: Mondays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Three month commitment required. Find out more.
- DVD Cover Creator - Adult volunteer needed to create and duplicate DVD slip covers for library DVDs. Weekday availability preferred, for 5-8 hours per week.
- Friends of the Library Volunteer- Adult volunteers needed to work in Friends Shop and workroom, selling books and media materials. Find out more.
- Pioneer Room Volunteer - Adult volunteers needed to perform archival clerical duties in our local history/genealogy room. Find out more.
- Literacy Tutor - Adult volunteers needed to teach other adults how to read. Find out more.
Are you a teen looking for ways to earn community service hours*?
- Review Crew - For every 3 qualifying book reviews earn 1 hour of community service.
- Teen Advisory Board - Become a member of Escondido Public Library's Teen Advisory Board! Reasons to join: Make new friends, earn community service hours, become involved with your community, plan teen programs, and participate in special events. Meetings are on the first Wednesday of every month from 3:30-5 p.m. in the Turrentine Room.
*Participation in these two groups does not require fingerprinting and a background check.